Hen in rice with supreme sauce
"I want every farmer in my kingdom to be able to potty the hen on Sunday." Beautiful words lent to Henry IV in 1600, here we are far from modern new cuisine, the same goes for the supreme sauce since we find traces of it in a recipe from the Cook François de La Varenne from 1651 - the Eel in stew - which is very close to the modern recipe with its binding to eggs yolks slurried in verjuice."
Such a sauce recipe is part of the new cuisine that was formed in France between 1550 and 1660 and broke away from the acid and lean sauces of the Middle Ages. Herbal and flour-based sauces now reign on our tables until the end of the 20th century when, in the 1970s, herbal and flour-based sauces were shortened or outright eliminated by the “Nouvelle cuisine”.
All that to say, that this recipe is not new, and that even if it is not my favorite dish, I do it sometimes during the year at the request of certain members of my family.
For 4 people, you will need: - 2 carrots, - 2 onions, - 2 leeks, - 1 stalk of celery, - 1 ORGANIC hen, - 1 lemon, - 250 g button mushrooms, - 1 knob of butter, - 2 glasses of rice,
- 4 glasses of hen cooking broth
- 30 g of butter, - 1 large tablespoon of flour, - 1/2 liter of hen cooking broth, - 2 egg yolks, - 2 tablespoons of fresh cream.
This not too difficult recipe to make is especially long, because the hen takes a long time to cook, so if you plan to serve it at 1 p.m., start cooking at 9 a.m.
- Peel carrots and onions, remove the green leaves from the leeks and split in half, wash the vegetables (especially if they are not ORGANIC),
- Boil onions, leeks, carrots and celery in a large volume of salted water for 15 minutes,
- Rub the hen with 1/2 a lemon so that it remains white, immerse it in the pot where the vegetables are cooked and boil gently for 2 h 30,
- Remove the sandy base from the mushrooms, wash, cut into large slices, put in a saucepan with a knob of butter, salt and a teaspoon of lemon juice, cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes, drain and set aside,
- Twenty minutes before the chicken is finished cooking, wash the rice, take 4 glasses of hen cooking broth, bring to a boil, boil the rice without covering for 15 minutes (depending on the rice, cooking times may vary) ,
- Fifteen minutes before serving, prepare the supreme sauce, in a saucepan, mix over low heat the melted butter and the flour, avoiding the formation of lumps, when the mixture is foaming, add all at once 1/2 liter of broth hen cooking, pepper, stir until boiling, cook over very low heat for about ten minutes,
- In a small bowl, mix the egg yolks with the fresh cream, add the eggs to the sauce, mixing vigorously,
- Drain the hen, cut it up, arrange the hen pieces on a bed of rice and decorate with the mushrooms.
And with what nectar to accompany this dish, a Pouilly-Vinzelles Climat "Les Quarts" from Domaine de La Soufrandière (around 40 €) or a Riesling Schlossberg Grand Cru from Domaine Weinbach (just over 50 €).
Red wine, I don't really feel it, but there will surely be experts to find me the perfect match. And good appetite to all, good food and good tasting, do not hesitate to leave your comments and see you soon.